11.4.08

Stop eating boring diet food!

"What I've succumbed to is making me numb" No Doubt, Just A Girl
Have I got a salad for you. Wait--did I just hear "boring"? Banish the thought! I do not eat boring food.
Indulge in this:
  • 2-3 green lettuce leafs
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1 tbsp thinly sliced red onions
  • 6-8 black olives, rinsed and sliced
  • 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
  • 1.5 ounces of grilled chicken strips(Tyson has a small bag)
  • 2 tbsp Pasta House salad dressing (or vinagrette equivalent)

This powerhouse salad looks like this on the nutrition chart:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 302
Total Fat 26g
Saturated Fat 4.8g
Cholesterol 40mg
Sodium 1312mg
Carbohydrate 8.3g
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
Sugars 1.3g
Protein 14g
Vitamin A 95% Vitamin C 22%
Calcium 12% Iron 22%


Granted, the sodium is a bit high on this recipe. This is because of the store bought grilled chicken breast strips. If you make your own that number will almost vanish. But look at your other stats! Only 302 calories? Check out those vitamins! And while 26 grams of fat looks daunting, most of that is good monounsaturated fat.

And now, to really indulge: I love to treat myself, especially when I eat. I had this deliciousness today for lunch, served up in a china bowl with a small glass of Merlot to get those benefits of red wine. It felt rather decadent, if I do say so myself.

And that's exactly how I like it.

1 comment:

Mrs. F said...

I love a good hearty salad. Yummm!