6.4.08

In the land of the BBQ, Grilled Portobello Mushrooms are King!

I nearly had a heart attack this afternoon when my husband announced that he wanted to bust out the grill and do the "manly" BBQ thing. At present, I am distancing myself from all things Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Ice Cream, Candy Bars, French Fries, etc.
What's a girl to do during "grilling season"?
Bust out the portobellos!
After a quick internet search I found a Grilled Portobello Mushroom recipe to die for. This statement was cemented after my husband, having just pulled my concoction off the grill for me to eat, sliced a piece off and fed it to... himself. The man nearly melted into the floor; the look on his face was pure bliss and I almost raced to get the camera.
For the record: He took two bites of his burger and then promptly polished off one of my mushrooms. Yes, you read right. This was that good.
So, without further ado: Grilled Portobello Mushrooms.
Note: I only used 1/2 tsp of salt (to reduce the sodium intake) and a scant 1/4 cup of olive oil. I added 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese (which slightly upped the sodium intake, oh well) and a teaspoon of oregano.
Given the above changes, here's how two portobello mushrooms stacked up nutritionally:

Nutrition Facts

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

2 Servings (Two mushroom caps per serving)

Amount Per Serving
Calories (Excellent!)
396.9
Total Fat 34.6 g

Saturated Fat 7.8 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5 g

Monounsaturated Fat
(here's your good fat)
21.4 g
Cholesterol 22.0 mg
Sodium (not too shabby!)
873.6 mg

Potassium 1,228.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g

Dietary Fiber (pretty darn good!)
6.5 g

Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 10.1 g
(That's awesome!!!!)

4 comments:

Mrs. F said...

I will have to tell the hubs to try that. He loves mushrooms.

I prefer chicken when he is BBQing.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a menu! As for your comment on my blog, while I was listening to the short story in the pew, I didn't think about your comment. But so true.

White Hot Magik said...

I need to try it. Now I am hungry.. but I am going to be good and go for the Kashi Bar.

Mrs. F said...

Check my latest blog. Something special awaits you.