15.2.08

Deadlifts

"Don't try to push your luck, just get outta my way" AC/DC, Back in Black

I'm not sure why these are called deadlifts. The name doesn't quite inspire me to jump up and perform this exercise but I will tell you this: deadlifts deliver. This exercise is a personal favorite.
I've learned something very significant about deadlifts that I want to share. Most people do them wrong.
Important things to keep in mind when performing a deadlift:
1. Don't round out your back. It needs to stay fairly straight.
2. Bend from your hips, not your waist. Big difference.
3. Don't go too far deeply into the stretch...think about your hamstrings.
You can don't have to use a barbell with plates to perform this exercise . Dumbbells will work just dandy. Your payoff will be a nice, tight... set of hamstrings.
If you haven't already, click this link to see this exercise in action.

No comments: