19.6.07

Water Aerobics

"I dare you to stand in my way." Britney Spears, Showdown

When I first started exercising several years after I left the Army I took a water aerobics class with a friend. I didn't really think that it was going to make this huge overall difference but I was wrong. I quickly learned that you got out of it exactly how much you put into it (as is the case generally in life), so I applied myself. And worked my butt off. Literally. In 3 months my bathing suit was seriously sagging (it was rather embarassing, really) and I needed a new one. Of course water aerobics wasn't solely responsible. I had to make sure that I was eating properly as well.

I was fortunate enough that I was approached about a job teaching at my gym. Would I be interested in teaching water aerobics? Um, YEAH! It was a great opportunity and I could fit it into my normal work schedule. I was ready to dive in.

What surprised me straight away was that the class was mostly made up of seniors. These guys and gals put everything they have into this class, and it's amazing. They work so hard. And believe me, I work them. For one hour a week they are mine. I joke with them that the class should be called Elizabeth's Power Hour. They laugh but they know it's true. The first 35 minutes are spent doing warm ups and cardio work, the next 10 working legs, the next 10-15 working arms with resistance paddles and finally stretching. It's a helluva workout.

The motivation that I get from teaching this class is astonishing. Not only do I feel so strong and in control but there's this shared energy with the folks in the pool that makes me work that much harder. I truly believe that this is one of those give and take deals. These people are proud of themselves (and tired!) when they leave one of my classes. I am proud of them, too. I love teaching them.

If you have the opportunity to get into the pool and take a water aerobics class, I recommend it. It can be as high impact or as low impact as you need it to be. Again, you get out of it what you put into it. And maybe you just might get an instructor like me who will convince you that you can do anything one more time.

No comments: