19.6.07

100 calorie packet prisons

"I wonder if I take you home, would you still be in love, baby" Black Eyed Peas, Don't Phunk With My Heart

When all of these different companies started coming out with 100 calorie packets of cookies, chips and crackers I was among the first to laden my shopping cart with them, eager to indulge in the sweets that I loved. At last! Guilt-free snacking!

But after countless dollars have been spent and a little more common sense learned, I'm putting my foot down.

It's not these 100 calorie packets that either help or hinder us. It's our own sense of willpower. What's the sense of tossing a few 100 calorie packets into your lunch bag if all you are going to do is end up eating 300 empty calories anyway? Want a better snack? Grab some baby carrots. Or celery sticks and a couple of tablespoons of reduced sodium peanut butter (hello, protein!).

Open that 100 calorie bag and take a good look. How much food is really there? Just enough to leave you wanting more. And more. Call it a little tease. For those of you who have iron clad willpower: I salute you. But the rest of us mere mortals need a little extra help so we don't dive into another packet of cookies. And then another.

Kick these 100 calorie packets to the curb. Nibble on fruit, nuts, granola (the healthy kind, not the "laden with sugar" kind), or fresh veggies...these types of foods not only have the ability to give you a boost over your mid-day slump but they are loaded with fiber to keep you feeling fuller, longer.

See if you can't schedule your snacking: late morning and mid-day, and down to the hour if necessary. Knowing when you are going to get something to snack on may alleviate a sense of panic that can be brought on by new-found structure. I used to freak out if I didn't think I brought enough food to work with me. Now I allow myself two snacks and I space them out so I'm less inclined to hit the dreaded vending machine.

Edamame, anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've started a weight loss program yet AGAIN. The 100 calorie packs are ok so long as I brush my teeth after eating one. Then I'm ok!! I'd rather have oranges